Virtual Seniors Week Activities
These articles appear courtesy of COTA Queensland, partnering with the Queensland Government for Seniors Week.
Staying Safe Online
To enable people to celebrate Seniors Week in the safest way possible, Seniors Week has gone virtual. We know not everyone is comfortable using the internet, and some people may need some support or guidance.
If you’re new to Virtual Meetings, there is a booklet especially for Seniors Week which can be downloaded from here: https://www.ownqld.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Helping-you-access-virtual-seniors-week-event-202007.pdf thanks to COTA Queensland and Volunteering Queensland and funded by the Queensland State Government.
The internet is a safe place to explore and enjoy, provided you know how to make the safe decisions.
There are lots of things you can do on the internet. You can:
- Keep in touch with family and friends.
- Manage your finances with online banking.
- Do your shopping online and have it delivered to you.
- Keep up with the news, or find out about things that interest you.
- Celebrate Queensland Seniors Week.
In the Seniors Week program this year we have some great webinars that will provide you with some tips and to staying safe online.
The internet is a wonderful place to explore, and it can help you do a lot of things easily. But there are some things you need to know so you can enjoy being online safely.
Join nbn™ , eSafety Commissioner, Queensland Police and COTA Queensland at one of three webinars on eSafety as they show you some simple tips to stay safe online. Click on the webinar name to find out more adn to register.
- Tuesday 18 August 10-11:15 am – Can you spot a scam
- Wednesday 19 August 8:45-10 am – All you need to know about data and public Wi-Fi
- Friday 21 August 11 am-12:15pm – Safer online shopping
These webinars will be hosted on GoToWebinar and a link to access the events will be sent to you after registration.
Staying Connected whilst travelling around Australia
As we know, COVID-19 restrictions mean that we will not be able to travel overseas for sometime so now is a fabulous opportunity to travel around our own backyard. Make the most of our spectacular country and holiday here!
Join IT 4 Retirees on Tuesday 18 August from 10:30-11:30am, as they teach you to stay connected with family, friends and the wider community whilst travelling. During this hour long webinar you will learn about:
• The pros & cons of WiFi vs Mobile data
• Keeping your personal information and devices safe
• Staying in touch via Video Chat and other communication methods
• Handy travel apps to make life easier when out & about
The best part is there is no pre-requisite knowledge needed – just a desire to know more about your smartphone, tablet & computer so you can stay connected whilst holidaying.
Spaces are limited! Find out more and register today by clicking here.